Organic Farming Research and Information
The market for organic products is expanding rapidly. This section provides links to key resources for organic farmers and ranchers and for other agricultural professionals working in this area.
California Organic Program
- This manual includes materials for use by agricultural professionals interested in what methods, materials, and practices are compatible and consistent with organic standards. Materials were assembled from the most current national, regional, and local sources.
Organic Farming Publications:
- Report: Factors Associated with De-registration among Organic Farmers in California
- Report: Survey of Organic Research and Extension Activities at the University of California
- Report: Impact Assessment of Organic Farming Programs in Ventura, Humboldt, and Marin Counties
- Organic Farming Cost and Return Studies (from UC Davis Agricultural and Resource Economics)
- UC IPM Pest Management Guidelines (some crop-pest summaries include organically acceptable methods)
- Organic Certification, Farm Production Planning, and Marketing - Publication 7247
- Soil Management and Soil Quality for Organic Crops - Publication 7248
- Soil Fertility Management for Organic Crops - Publication 7249
- Weed Management for Organic Crops - Publication 7250
- Insect Pest Management for Organic Crops - Publication 7251
- Plant Disease Management for Organic Crops - Publication 7252
- Post-harvest Handling for Organic Crops - Publication 7254
- Producing Alfalfa Hay Organically
- Organic Alfalfa Management Guide
- Statistical Review of California Organic Agriculture 2000-2005 (2007)
- Statistical Review of California's Organic Agriculture 1998-2003 (2005)
- A Statistical Picture of California's Organic Agriculture, 1995-1998 (2003)
- Survey of Organic Research and Extension Activities at the University of California
- ATTRA Publications on Organic Farming
- As part of SAREP's organic initiative, we are working with the following county UC Cooperative Extension programs to bring organic farming research and information resources to the local level.
- Links to websites related to Organic Farming.